Sunday 10 March 2013

My Big Fat Rant...

Lately something has really been bugging me so I need to have a big fat rant to get it out of my system.

Due to my Firbomyalgia I only work 16 hours a week. This works out as 4 hours a day over 4 days in the week. So to full time workers who do 35+ hours a week, I can see why this doesn't seem much at all. 

HOWEVER...

I am sick to death of people saying comments to me about how little I work. A few common examples...

"I wish I was going home at 1:30pm!"

"It's alright for you, you've had a lie in before you came to work!"

"How are you tired? You only work 4 hours a day!"
or
"How are you tired? You've hardly done anything today!"

"It's alright for some getting a day off in the week!"

and the one that really gets on my nerves...

"Your lucky you only work part-time!"

In what way am I lucky?
I have a debilitating illness that affects my everyday life and causes me excruciating pain and fatigue, yet I am somehow lucky!

Yes, I may only work 4 hours a day but to me it feels like forever
Just 4 hours of work will leave me so tired and feeling so ill that I have to go home and get back into bed. There is rarely a day when I have been to work and not gone home for a nap straight afterwards.
I even have special pyjamas, eye mask, alarm and fur blanket for my afternoon naps!

Yes, I have a day off in the week but I mostly spend this in bed, resting, recovering and saving my energy to get me through the rest of the week. 

However, a lot of people are surprised to know that I don't just have the one job. I am very lucky that I have been making handmade hair accessories for a company for 5 years now. I make these from home and can amazingly do them in bed while I watch tv and films. I would not be able to cope without this small extra income. And yes I accept bragging rights for how good my second job is, especially as one of the shops the bows are sold in is harrods! 
(so even when I'm at home, I don't stop working)

I have also recently finished my nail technician training and have started doing a few treatments here and there to earn some extra money. As I do anything and everything I can to be able to work more than 16 hours a week. However, bows and nails do have to come second to my main job and illness as sometimes I am too tired and ill to do them.

A lot of people don't realise how debilitating and crippling Fibromyalgia can be. A lot of people with this condition have had to give up work all together. I am at a stage with my illness where I do manage to work even if they are limited hours and I have to push myself to do it. So don't be surprised if you say a comment about how little I work and I get an urge to punch you in the face!

My new response that tends to shut people up immediately when they say remarks like the ones above is...

"Well why don't you get a disability or debilitating illness and then you can work as little as me?!"

I would do anything to be able to work full time!!!


Rant over.



No comments:

Post a Comment